Are you the kind of person that is always thinking, sketching, seeking, and adjusting? Who needs to understand how things work and then figure out how they can work better? Are you a passionate, tenacious, solver who loves to work with others who share your drive? Are you positive, constructive, and ingenious?
Are you always solving?
Then we’d like to meet you and bet you’d like to meet us.
Ashland LLC has an exciting opportunity for a Facility Environmental, Health & Safety Manager to join our Manufacturing group at our Huntsville, AL location. This is a very visible, significant role within the Company and the Environmental, Health & Safety function.
The Facility Environmental, Health & Safety Manager is responsible for the overall strategic and tactical regulatory and company environmental and safety programs and initiatives of the manufacturing site who:
• Partners with plant management and employees to help Ashland achieve its mission and goals while protecting people and the environment and ensuring site and global compliance
• Stewards a culture of safety and environmental excellence to meet external commitments and develop and implement efficient systems and processes
• Monitors and ensures regulatory compliance
• Creates and fosters an employee inclusive safety culture
**This job is based on a ladder structure and the job level (salary) will be determined by the quantity and quality of your experience.
In order to be qualified for this role, you must possess the following:
• BS or BA degree in Industrial Safety, Environmental Science or other related technical degree (ie., Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, etc.)
• A minimum of seven years of industrial safety and regulatory experience in a manufacturing or distribution setting of which two years must be in the oil or chemical industry
• Safety certification preferred, if not otherwise required by region or country regulations
• Emergency response experience preferred
• Experience working with regulatory agencies preferred
• Production and/or maintenance supervisory experience preferred
• For US roles: Clean Air Act (i.e. NSPS, NESHAPS, MACT) and Clean Water Act, Process Safety Experience (i.e. WWTP operation, NPDES Permitting and DMR sampling & reporting) experience preferred
• Applicants must be authorized to work in the United States
Technical Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Risk Assessment and Analysis – Knowledge of and ability to effectively utilize methods and tools to conduct risk assessments and process hazard analysis
• Compliance with Regulatory Requirements – Knowledge and thorough understanding of EHS regulatory structure and requirements, EHS management systems and company requirements
• EHS Program Management & Measurement – Able to lead, implement, and measure plant specific, company, and/or regulatory EHS program elements
• Regulatory Applicability Assessment - Must be skilled in determining applicability of state, federal, regional and/or local government environmental regulations and when applicable. Capable of building required compliance systems.
• Incident Management – Ability to conduct root cause analysis, identify corrective actions, and utilize incident management systems to improve site and employee safety
• Project Management – Demonstrated skill in project management tools and methods to successfully manage and implement several projects and initiatives simultaneously
• Training Development & Delivery – Knowledge of adult learning methods and able to identify, develop and facilitate EHS related training materials & topics
• Communication Skills – Able to clearly and effectively communicate verbal and written appropriate to the audience. Able to deliver information in a formalized and group setting. Able to translate complicated and/or technical information in a simplified format that can be easily understood
• Computer Skills - Working knowledge of current software systems, i.e. SAP, e-mail, Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint). Skilled in utilizing database software programs and electronic project management tools
Leadership Skills & Competencies:
• Influencing - Able to persuade or convince others not within the normal reporting relationship to support an idea, agenda, direction or initiative by establishing credibility, using data and/or exercising other appropriate methods
• Ethics, Values, Integrity and Trust - Adheres to and practices an appropriate and effective set of core values and beliefs during both good and bad times; Acts in line with those values; Rewards the right values and disapproves of others. Consistently demonstrates and is regarded as having high integrity and trust among peers, managers and employees; is widely trusted and seen as a direct, truthful individual; Keeps confidences and admits mistakes; Doesn't misrepresent him/herself for personal gain
• Problem solving - Demonstrate a problem-solving approach when faced with challenging or difficult situations; Uses rigorous logic and methods to solve difficult problems with effective solutions; Probes all fruitful sources for answers; Can see hidden problems; Excels at honest analysis; Looks beyond the obvious and doesn't stop at the first answers
• Managing Diversity - Build and sustain working relationships with people of diverse cultural identities, styles and functional responsibilities on all levels including an hourly workforce
• Process Management – able to define objectives and processes and integrate them into the organization; understands how to separate and combine tasks into efficient work flow; Knows what to measure and how to measure it; Can see opportunities for synergy and integration; Can simplify complex processes
• Planning and Organizing - Ability to plan, prioritize, and organize work effectively to produce measurable results. Define objectives and integrate into the organization quickly and smoothly Ability to perform both long and short term planning
• Managerial Courage – Provides current, direct, complete, and "actionable" positive and corrective feedback to others; Lets people know where they stand; Faces up to people problems on any person or situation quickly and directly; Is not afraid to take negative action when necessary; Able to challenge the status quo; open minded to new ideas
• Building Effective Teams & Team Development - Models a team orientation that seeks to build better solutions by leveraging diversity of thought, experience and capability in team composition and resulting decisions. Blends people into teams when needed; Creates strong morale and spirit in his/her team; Fosters open dialogue; Defines success in terms of the whole team; Creates a feeling of belonging in the team
• Decision Quality - Makes good decisions based upon a mixture of analysis, wisdom, experience, and judgment; Sought out by others for advice and solutions; Capable of making and enacting difficult decisions
TO APPLY FOR THIS POSITION, please select the Apply button. If no Apply button is provided, please visit Ashland's Career Center. Once there, enter job number 2018-7136 in the Keyword Search field to find this posting and apply on-line.
NOTE: We do not accept resumes from external staffing agencies or independent recruiters for any of our openings unless we have a signed recruiting agreement in place to fill a specific position.
Ashland Global Holdings Inc. (NYSE: ASH) is a premier, global specialty chemicals company serving customers in a wide range of consumer and industrial markets, including adhesives, architectural coatings, automotive, construction, energy, food and beverage, personal care and pharmaceutical. At Ashland, we are approximately 6,500 passionate, tenacious solvers – from renowned scientists and research chemists to talented engineers and plant operators – who thrive on developing practical, innovative and elegant solutions to complex problems for customers in more than 100 countries. Our people are distinguished by their ability to create and apply specialized chemistry in ways that enable customers to amplify the efficacy, refine the usability, add to the allure, ensure the integrity, and improve the profitability of their products and applications. Visit ashland.com to learn more.
Ashland. always solving™
We are passionate, tenacious, solvers who thrive on developing practical, innovative and elegant solutions to complex problems in applied chemistry, always pushing the boundaries of what’s possible, and advancing the competitiveness of our customers across diverse industries.
Our people—molecular scientists, chemists, process engineers, logisticians, research scientists, economists, analysts, compliance auditors, salespeople, safety experts and more—are distinguished by their ability to create and apply specialized chemistry in ways that enable customers to amplify the efficacy, refine the usability, add to the allure, ensure the integrity, and improve the profitability of their products and applications.
The Ashland Way
Our vision, mission, way and values are the foundation for what makes Ashland, Ashland. What we aspire to accomplish, how we work every day toward that vision, and the way that we do things are what give substance to the promises we make to each other, customers and investors.
Our vision is to make a better world by providing creative solutions through the application of specialty ingredients and materials.
Our mission is to develop practical, innovative, and elegant solutions to complex problems in applied chemistry, always pushing the boundaries of what’s possible, and advancing the competitiveness of our customers across diverse industries.
Our way is to respect, protect, and advance the people we work with, companies we serve, shareholders who invest in our future, communities we’re a part of, and planet we share.
Ashland is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled/Gender Identity/Sexual Orientation.
Ashland is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.